Monday 27 June 2016

The Concept of Inconvenience

Yesterday, I had to transport my vehicle from Warangal to Chennai. As the most preferred option for any Indian is Railways, we went to the railway station to book the vehicle. The drama of inconvenience starts from then. I don’t know the case with the rest, but if it is a vehicle, someone should travel in the same train as that of the vehicle. There are, may be, ten trains from Warangal to Chennai but since the vehicle is to be loaded only in three, I can travel only in one of those three trains. Now, if I have a ticket in any of the other trains? Or even worse, I don’t want to travel at all? Well, there is no way to prove I didn’t travel by that train if I have a general ticket and that adds to expense and inconvenience. It simply means, I will have to travel in general bogie even if I have a confirmed seat in a different train or if I am travelling on a different day – no option or select another mode of transport. Whatever the transport is, it is going to take a longer time.
When I came searching for the vehicle, first of all, there will always be a tout – one of the biggest inconveniences in India. This time, the tout who knows only Tamil and me, almost four or five languages excluding Tamil, had a nice exercise walking the full length of the platform trying to find out where the vehicle is and trying to communicate with me in a sane manner. It turned out that it is near the central booking counter and we picked it after an hour of me reaching the station. And all this happened because, instead of loading it into one train, it was loaded into a different one. Or may be, they felt this is a high value item and kept it safely. Or may be, it will get wet in rain. Or a thousand such reasons.
Now comes the next phase of inconvenience – any vehicle in transport will have all petrol drained out. The question is this. Where will I get petrol when I collect my vehicle? As it turned out, there are no petrol bunks within a kilometre of the exit gate of the railway station. Am I supposed to drag the vehicle all along till the petrol bunk? And note, it’s illegal for a person to carry petrol in a bottle – Molotov’s cocktail, may be? This means I can’t go to a petrol bunk to get some fuel and then collect the vehicle. Well, I had another bigger inconvenience because of no accountability as a part of this drama, but there’s no point dealing about as it is not at all related to the discussion.
This is something for the Railway Ministry to introspect –
1.     What is railways doing to increase it’s revenue by end user freight, not business freight? Note that Railways is one of the cheapest mode of transport and people prefer to use that if it is facilitative.
2.     In my case, the tout worked hard and he deserved the money – he walked for almost 3 km with me, got the vehicle delivered and dragged it for 3 km more to the petrol bunk. But, what is railways doing to control the concept of touts? Am I that incompetent to get my things done without a middleman?
Take this specific instance of transporting a vehicle.
3.     Do we really need the customer to travel in the same train? Wouldn’t a representative be sufficient at the other end? Even, what’s the need of an original receipt? A duplicate scanned along with the identity card specified before should be sufficient.
4.     Is there no way Railways can provide the customers fuel, at least sufficient to take them to the nearest petrol bunk, either free or at a charge? Or, can’t it allow one petrol bunk on railway property, at a stone’s throw from the collection point with appropriate directions?

5.     The penalty for being late – if the vehicle is collected after six hours, the penalty will be ten rupees per hour. Are we saying that this number is a deterrent going by the fact that a litre petrol costs 70 rupees and a bus ticket from my house to Chennai Central costs 17 rupees? Either scrap off such fines or give some meaningful numbers. The cost and effort of paperwork in case of penalty is going to be more than the money being collected as in the case of salt tax.

No comments:

Post a Comment